The last time I wrote, we were sobbing into our gardening gloves while we carefully dug up every strawberry plant in our berry patch... just as they all started flowering. Our strawberry ordeal has finally come to an end with tentative results:
Our strawberries all dug up with June bearing on the left and ever-bearing on the right
This was day #1 of digging in order to fix the house foundation.
Day #2 and installing a 2nd sump pump in our basement
They did a great job putting everything back together, so all I had to do was start planting again
Two weeks later and the plants are definitely worse for the wear, but the strawberries look like they just might survive the whole ordeal. We might just have a crop after all!
We got it all dug up (June bearing on the left, ever bearing on the right) in an afternoon.
On Monday we will be having people come dig up this area to fix the house foundation on this side. Our basement walls are caving in and we can't risk another flood in the unpredictable Midwest.
I know the strawberries will perk back up next year, and we are planning on expanding the area (yay!) but it really is heartbreaking to yank them up right when they're so full of potential. Especially after we worked so hard on the strawberry bed last year. I might be a little too sentimental about this whole thing...
In a way, I'm okay with this for one reason - I'll be able to update in a few weeks to let y'all know if the plants survived and actually produced anything. I could not find a single resource online blog or otherwise to tell me if a strawberry harvest could survive this kind of thing. Stay tuned.