In an effort to get rid of some of the nasty chemicals in our lives (and also because we ran out of hand soap) I decided to try making some sensitive-skin friendly liquid soap. I know I saw another blog with something similar, but couldn't find it again. Or maybe I had a dream about such a blog. This is what I've been doing, and I couldn't be happier with this easy swap for store bought. I love the peppermint Castile soap so much, I went ahead and bought the big bottle this time around.
I start off with about 1 cup oats and 2 cups water. This makes a fairly runny liquid, which is what I prefer. More oats to less water makes thicker goo, and more like store bought soap.
Boil the oats for about 10 minutes and then strain
I ended up with about 1 1/3 cups oatmeal goo, and mixed in 3 tablespoons liquid castile soap. This is what I've been using for body soap (gentle, but... fair warning the peppermint tingles) and in our bathrooms for hand soap. I love it, and so far nobody in my family has noticed it's not regular soap.
Does anybody know how long this would last if I made a larger batch? We go through it quickly enough (in a week or so) that it doesn't seem to go bad.
I am linking to:

I know this is a really old post but I just stumbled on your blog. I make soap, and the castile soap will act like a preservative for a short while: maybe two weeks. After that, you still risk mold you can't even see in the oatmeal water. Btw, love your anti-chafing cream. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI know this is a really old post but I just stumbled on your blog. I make soap, and the castile soap will act like a preservative for a short while: maybe two weeks. After that, you still risk mold you can't even see in the oatmeal water. Btw, love your anti-chafing cream. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteWhen my husband was diagnosed with Parkinson’s, our whole family was heartbroken. We’re grateful to NaturePath Clinic for the care, kindness, and support they provided throughout our journey. Every family’s experience is different, but we’re thankful for the encouragement we received. Website: www.naturepathherbalclinic.com Email: info@naturepathherbalclinic.com
ReplyDelete