Thursday, February 13, 2014

Homemade Anti-Chafing Cream

Maybe this is a weird post for the dead of winter, but I ran out of my homemade anti-chafing cream and made a fresh batch today. I thought I'd share what works for me:

Smooth, moisturizing, and powdery finish. I use it on the stray pimple now and then, too.

I have sensitive skin and tend to get irritated spots in the summer where skin rubs together or on sweaty clothes (underwires!!) I'll spare the details, but I think we can all conjure the inner thigh discomfort of walking a mile in a skirt on a sweaty day. If you're not skinny, that is. 

You could go buy that Monistat chafe gel, if you wanted to spend a whole lot of money, and rub chemicals and silicone on your skin. But this is what I've put together. I used to use coconut oil, but I like almond oil better on my skin. The lavender is antibacterial and smells nice. The corn starch could be replaced with arrowroot powder, I just didn't have any.

It's just sweet almond oil, corn starch and lavender oil


Mix them all together.


It's a little like cookie icing


The end result goes on smooth, soaks in and leaves a powdery finish. I *love* this cream and basically throw it on anywhere that gets sweaty/rashy. Especially under my boobs. There, I said it.

Homemade Anti-Chafing Cream
1 cup corn starch
1/2 cup sweet almond oil
40 drops lavender oil

I'm linking to:
 Homestead Barn Hop

9 comments:

  1. I will bookmark this! Great idea :) I stopped in from the Barnhop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I have never tried this before. Would love you to share this at Oil me up Wednesdays at My lamp is full!
    Janine

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can also wear shorts under your skirts. Bike shorts have less chafe but can be warm; cotton shorts are more comfy but move around more. Just another option.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made this and already love it! I had to cut my intense 5k training short because my thighs were on fire! (Chafing badly). I am so glad i found this recipe. The only thin i changed was the oil. I used grapeseed oil( the only kind i had) and added a few drops of vit. E oil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have coconut or macadamia oil. See any issues with using the macadamia oil?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have coconut or macadamia oil. See any issues with using the macadamia oil?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How thick is this? Like aquaphor, habd lotion, or thinner/thicker

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I love you! I was searching for can arrowroot be used for chafing? and found this. Menopause and boobs. Dont know why but OMG! I have all these ingredients. I'm already in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete