Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Healthier Chocolate Chip Oat Muffins





I made these to try to satisfy the whole family. Low in sugar for my Type 1 diabetic husband, high in good fats for my kiddo, and chocolate to make everyone happy.  I wanted to use up some eggs from my mom's neighbor's backyard chickens. The applesauce was from apples we picked from my sister-in-law's farm. There's melted Amish made butter. I may have eaten a few too many.

They turned out really good, but someone with a serious sweet tooth may want to add a bit of brown sugar. To me they taste just like heartier oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.

Throw all the dry ingredients into the bowl

Mix in all the wet except for the chocolate chips. Make sure the butter isn't too warm, or it'll cook the eggs!

Be the hero mommy and let the kiddo be in charge of the chocolate chips. This meant my batch was one small handful shy of 1 cup.

The final consistency should be like extra sticky cookie dough that wants flour

But the resulting muffins are hearty and moist and wonderful. And definitely not glorified cupcakes.


Healthier Chocolate Chip Oat Muffins

1 cup oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt


2 eggs
1 cup applesauce
1 tsp honey (if applesauce is unsweetened)
1 T vanilla
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup chocolate chips
(Chopped walnuts or something would be great in here, too!)

Bake at 400 degrees for 16-18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean

No comments:

Post a Comment