Friday, January 31, 2014

Castile-Oatmeal Hand and Body Soap

In an effort to get rid of some of the nasty chemicals in our lives (and also because we ran out of hand soap) I decided to try making some sensitive-skin friendly liquid soap. I know I saw another blog with something similar, but couldn't find it again. Or maybe I had a dream about such a blog. This is what I've been doing, and I couldn't be happier with this easy swap for store bought. I love the peppermint Castile soap so much, I went ahead and bought the big bottle this time around.

I start off with about 1 cup oats and 2 cups water. This makes a fairly runny liquid, which is what I prefer. More oats to less water makes thicker goo, and more like store bought soap.

Boil the oats for about 10 minutes and then strain

I ended up with about 1 1/3 cups oatmeal goo, and mixed in 3 tablespoons liquid castile soap. This is what I've been using for body soap (gentle, but... fair warning the peppermint tingles) and in our bathrooms for hand soap. I love it, and so far nobody in my family has noticed it's not regular soap.

Does anybody know how long this would last if I made a larger batch? We go through it quickly enough (in a week or so) that it doesn't seem to go bad.

I am linking to:

2 comments:

  1. I know this is a really old post but I just stumbled on your blog. I make soap, and the castile soap will act like a preservative for a short while: maybe two weeks. After that, you still risk mold you can't even see in the oatmeal water. Btw, love your anti-chafing cream. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is a really old post but I just stumbled on your blog. I make soap, and the castile soap will act like a preservative for a short while: maybe two weeks. After that, you still risk mold you can't even see in the oatmeal water. Btw, love your anti-chafing cream. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete