Monday, January 13, 2014

Using up Butternut Squash - Muffin Recipe

Our butternut squash went just a little bit crazy last year. We had a really nice, mild summer for our region and I had the time to take much better care of the gardens. The result was that this cute little flower bed-turned-veggie patch went wild:

Not bad, we thought! Maybe we'll get luckier this year and get a dozen before the squash bugs kill the plants.

This was before it had a growth spurt. No joke.

It was beautiful in there. I wish I could have shrunk myself and gone camping in there.

This was just our first harvest. The plants survived the squash bugs and we got another round with even more than this.

We've eaten a lot with butter and brown sugar, we've puréed a lot and frozen it for later use, a lot has gone in soup and we've given it away. But we still have a squash problem. Today I made some muffins to chip away at the pile:

They're keeping beautifully. Only a few have gone bad so far.



These turned out great, but my picky little girl isn't too keen on the oatmeal texture. I keep trying with her and she's just not an oatmeal person. You win some, you lose some I suppose. Next time I'll stick to whole wheat flour for the whole recipe, even though I love the oats.


Butternut Squash Oat Muffins
2 cups puréed butternut squash (one 15 oz can pumpkin with one oz water would work, too)
4 eggs
1 cup melted butter (not too hot!)
2 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 T pumpkin pie spice (see below)
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cup oatmeal (or sub this with flour if you'd rather have softer muffins)

350 degrees, 20-25 minutes for muffins, 30-35 minutes for mini loaf, 60-70 minutes for a large loaf

Pumpkin Pie Spice
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ginger

I'm going to try and link up to it, I hope it works. I love checking in every week to find some inspiration in other people's blogs. I hope to have more to contribute when we expand a little more this spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment