Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Thankful for over abundance

Life is chugging along. I can feel my hair getting more grey strand by strand, minute by minute. Life is stressful right now. Some things are moving forward - I'm thisclose to starting a new job, and I have my daughter in a really wonderful new Montessori preschool. One thing that helps is to keep doing small projects around the house that are comforting:


We still have way too many of these to contend with, so tonight we baked one up for sweet bread.



Stirring is her favorite part. She loves all things "pumpkin spiced"


We may have gobbled down a few muffins before I took this photo.

The big stress I can't write about will not be resolved any time soon, if anything it's getting worse before it gets better. But I can be thankful for homemade butternut squash bread and the family I was given to bake things for. I am thankful for the luxury of Too Much Squash. Slowing down and taking the time to make a simple treat like our favorite pumpkin (this time butternut squash) bread forces me to remember what it's really all about, and it forces me to remember that we have it pretty darned good. 

The recipe is adapted from Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread.

I replaced the can of pumpkin with cooked and puréed butternut squash, and half the flour with whole wheat flour. I reduced the sugar by 1/3. It's kid approved even with my alterations!

I'm linking up with:

2 comments:

  1. Kid approved speaks volumes. I'm with you that I think I try to overachieve and then psych myself out of success. I'm going to be trying this recipe. If you're interested in sharing more tricks and tips, I do a blog hop on Fridays. You can enter last week's up until this Thursday at noon. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing on our Homestead Barn Hop! What a blessing to have such an abundance of food! Your bread looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete